[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Stepan and all,

Stefan Probst wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> Or in other words: I still fail to understand, why registrations in the
> root have to be handled that *much* differently than those in the gTLDs..

  I don't even think they need to be that difficult in that TLD's themselves
are only entered once in the Legacy/USG Roots....

> Regarding fees:
> I think a fixed amount per SLD is ok.
> There will be TLDs, which cover a broad spectrum with millions of
> financially wealthy registrants, but I see no reason, why there shouldn't
> be also smaller ones, or ones which cater for parts of the world where
> people are not as rich as in the US.

  Exactly!  But the ICANN BoD and staff came up with a scheme by which
requiring US $50k for each application (Non-refundable none the less),
to generate much needed funding for ICANN.  Disgusting!

> Why should .museum or .coop or .humanrights pay same much like .biz or .travel?
> Or .hmong (a tribe in Vietnam)(latter TLD preferably registered in UTF-8)?

  No reason at all...  But of course there are many excuses for doing so....

> [...]
> >

> > > There does not need to be a $50,000 fee to be qualified for inclusion.
> >
> >   Absolutely right.  A processing fee of much less should be sufficient.
> >And a lottery process to determine whom and what TLD's are added to the
> >Legacy/USG roots is not a fair and open process...
> >
> > > Let
> > > $1 per domain name registration in the included tlds fund ICANN entirely.
> > > Then ICANN won't have to worry about funding and if they are beholden to
> > > anyone for their finances it would be the users who register domain names.
> >
> >   This could be used as a method, but I would prefer a fixed processing
> >fee that is paid one time bu the potential registry.  As ICANN is a
> >non-profit 501 c(3) corp. you method here Chris is problematic...
> >

> > > I don't care what any techie says. This is not a technical issue except
> > > where maybe the IETF help set the technical requirements for operating a
> > > TLD. It is a social and political issue that ICANN needs to resolve and
> > this
> > > is NOT difficult to do.
> >
> >  Technopolitics seems to to have driven the ICANN BOD and staff.  Tail
> >wagging the dog sort of thing...  The IETF is intertwined in this.  As such
> >it's judgments are being increasingly questions and for good reason...
> >

> > > The users are more than happy to fund ICANN. We don't need the IP interests
> > > or the Corporate money. Take the number of domains filed in one year x $1
> > > and ICANN has more than enough to give itself those nice fat raises.
> >
> >   This is where I think you are mistaken.
> >

> > > 28,869,097 domains registered as of March 2001. That is a lot of money. It
> > > is not a tax no matter how one might try to label it. I think organizations
> > > like the IDNO and others would endorse the plan.
> >
> >   I think you may be a bit premature here...
> >

> > > This gives current holders of tlds their chance to be included with no harm
> > > to users or ICANN. They would have to meet a set of standards that
> > should be
> > > arrived at through a bottom up procedure THROUGH the DNSO using both the
> > > @Large and the GA to work on it.
> >
> >   Agreed.
> >

> > > But of course there will be reasons given why it isn't just this easy.
> > IT IS
> > > THIS EASY.
> >
> >   Yes of course...  And we all know why as well...
> >

> > > You see WXW and Dassa. I am not out to destroy ICANN. I am on the list to
> > > help find a way ICANN can perform it's functions in the manner of a
> > > nonprofit org that represents the users not as it has been acting as a for
> > > profit corp looking out for the IP Interests and the other corps. That
> > is an
> > > area where I am comfortable in stating an opinion about and more than
> > > qualified to do so.
> >
> >   WXW, Darryl (AKA Dessa) and others of their points of view, have
> >a problem with being open in their thought processes.  You just have
> >to deal with that as best you can, or ignore them all together....

Jeffrey A. Williams