[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

At 09:17 AM 6/15/01 -0700, M. Stuart Lynn wrote:

>It seems, Milton, that academe has arrived at a new standard since I left
>two years ago. Anyone who agrees with you is "honest" and anyone who
>disagrees is not ;-). Well, well!

My guess is that would depend upon being able to back it up with true
facts. Not this factually-inaccurate spin that Vint sells to CNN.

>The basis for the statement that ICANN's policy is to support a single
>authoritative root is extensively articulated in my document and the
>references clearly cited. The White Paper, the Memorandum of
>Understanding, and the Articles of Incorporation give clear indication of
>ICANN's Policy. They are ICANN's charter documents. I suggest you read
>them again. They are not very hard to understand and their statements with
>regard to an authoritative single root and to competing roots are quite clear.

It appears that short-sighted near-term policy overrides any sane long-term
response. Unfortunately, the consequences of such blind actions will harm
the Internet far more than a sensible long-term policy.

>My statement on ICANN Policy is not unilateral -- it is well-grounded in
>the community processes that led to the White Paper and to the formation
>of ICANN.

Are you referring to the coup that took the IAHC away from Postel? Which
led to the hopelessly illegal sham called the gTLD-MOU? Which the White
Paper stopped dead, only to be subverted by the very same people who were
behind the gTLD-MOU?

Hardly what I call a "well-grounded community process".