[ga-roots]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic

----- Original Message -----
From: "William X. Walsh" <william@userfriendly.com>
To: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@syr.edu>
Cc: <ga-roots@dnso.org>; <kent@songbird.com>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 2:26 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

> Hello Milton,
>
> Friday, June 15, 2001, 2:22:54 PM, Milton Mueller wrote:
>
> > Mueller:
> > Crispin:
> >>If anything, what we have is
> >>clear proof that ICANN has simply been following a policy of ignoring
> >>any precedent set by alternate roots.
>
> > Thanks for a good laugh!
>
> > Seriously, go back to the video archives of Vint Cerf's discussion
> > of .web assignment at the Marina del Rey meeting. He made quite
> > extensive and explicit statements about recognizing Image Online
Design's
> > work. Ignoring precedent is precisely what he did NOT do.
>
> .web is an ENTIRELY different beast with entirely different issues.
>
> Those issues are still in dispute and have not been resolved, and in
> NO way are they even similar to the claims by alt.root TLD operators.

Lets see if I get you right here. Dot Web is a TLD. Dot Web is operating in
another Root besides this "One True Authoritative Root thing that Stuart
Lynn claims existance of". Dot Biz is a TLD. It too is operating on another
Root besides this (OTAR) we'll call it for short. But you say they are
completely different Beasts you call them and two entirely different issues
and that comparing the two is wrong.

TLD        Exists?    Operational?   In OTAR?   In another root?

.WEB         Yes             Yes               No                 Yes
.BIZ            Yes             Yes              No                  Yes

Hmmm. Since in an earlier email you stated you do not believe that .web has
any claim to existance in the OTAR, I can't help but ask then, minus that
supposed IANA thing you disagree with for dot web, what exactly makes these
two so different? I mean besides the fact that ICANN duplicated dot biz and
did not do that to dot web, which was exactly the point you were responding
to.

Your stated position: Dot Web has no real claim to exist in the OTAR.
Your stated position: Dot Web and other TLDs in the other roots are nothing
alike.

Can you clarify this for us William? Does 2 + 2 = 5?