[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Keywords: The Net's Future Naming Standard?

At 23:21 06.06.01 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
-------------------------

>What they said was that they would be able

My impression was, that they wouldn't only be able, but would actively
offer this...

>  to take the query that IE sends out when faced with something it does
> not find in the DNS, turn the query into an ACE-encoded DNS query at
> their server, and make the browser do the Right Thing - probably by
> sending the ACE-encoded name back as "what you want to be pointed at".

Yes, this is how I understood it. Not sure, whether they would only provide
a link, or do the *ACE to IP resolution and then send the browser directly
to that site.

>This will work with virtual domains too.

Then pls. explain how. The virtual hosting uses an http 1.1 (that's a
transmission protocol) feature, i.e. the request doesn't go only to the IP
address, but the requested server name is also sent along. The RealName
database takes only care of "site not found" and would direct browsers to
that site. After that (i.e. during browsing at the site) RealNet is not
part of the game. How should it then work?

>The interesting aspect of RealNames' technology from a privacy
>perspective, if I understand it rightly, is that an agent you have no
>agreement with now knows every site you ever misspelled..... I will check
>this out when I get back to my home office and can use my sniffer tools to
>verify it....

Thanks, that's a very good point.

Stefan