[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Keywords: The Net's Future Naming Standard?

At 23:17 06.06.2001 +0700, Stefan Probst wrote:
>At 00:42 07.06.01 +1000, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>-------------------------
>>RealNames Corp. is continuing to spread the gospel of Internet keywords
>>around the world, but converts remain few.
>
>An interesting concept, but for min. 50 Bucks per word per country an
>expensive gamble.
>
>They offered to "resolve" the *ACE encoded Domains of the Testbed soon.
>I am not sure, whether they would charge, and furthermore, this probably
>won't work with virtual domains (i.e. domains hosted under the same IP
>address, using Apache's virtual host feature).

What they said was that they would be able to take the query that IE sends
out when faced with something it does not find in the DNS, turn the query
into an ACE-encoded DNS query at their server, and make the browser do the
Right Thing - probably by sending the ACE-encoded name back as "what you
want to be pointed at".
This will work with virtual domains too.

The interesting aspect of RealNames' technology from a privacy perspective,
if I understand it rightly, is that an agent you have no agreement with now
knows every site you ever misspelled..... I will check this out when I get
back to my home office and can use my sniffer tools to verify it....

All silver linings have a dark cloud....