[ga-roots]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] How the sky might fall

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, at 14:31 [=GMT-0700], William X. Walsh wrote:
> Monday, June 04, 2001, 2:23:20 PM, Page Howe wrote:
>
> >>At the present time that is correct. It is contemplated in >their contract
> > with the DoC that in the future control of >the actual root servers that
> > resolve the queries would be >turned over to ICANN.
>
> > OK, lets examine that statement.  Future control of the servers
> that resolve > the queries.........
>
> > does that mean for the gTLD's, ccTLD's?
>
> > In our application (Ross help me if i am wrong) for a new TLD we assumed we
> > would control the servers, at least we would have to pay for them.
>
> You control the nameservers that resolve names under your TLD.  But
> the internet has to know what and where those nameservers are.  That
> data is what is in the root servers, which is what ICANN effectively
> controls.

In a way, yes :-) They don't run them.

> Just like com/net/org are "managed" by the NSI nameservers named
> x.gltd-servers.net,

That is quite new, isn't it? Not very long ago (months at most) some
*.root-servers.net were still authoritative for the 'old' gTLDs in
addition to the root. .edu still is on the *.root-servers.net.
Confusion between NSI and ICANN is easy. It is being phased out, I
know.

But I think I cannot yet download the root zone from ICANN, can
I?