[ga-roots]

Re[2]: [ga-roots] How the sky might fall

Hello Page,

Monday, June 04, 2001, 2:23:20 PM, Page Howe wrote:

>>At the present time that is correct. It is contemplated in >their contract
> with the DoC that in the future control of >the actual root servers that
> resolve the queries would be >turned over to ICANN.

> OK, lets examine that statement.  Future control of the servers that resolve
> the queries.........

> does that mean for the gTLD's, ccTLD's?

> In our application (Ross help me if i am wrong) for a new TLD we assumed we
> would control the servers, at least we would have to pay for them.

You control the nameservers that resolve names under your TLD.  But
the internet has to know what and where those nameservers are.  That
data is what is in the root servers, which is what ICANN effectively
controls.

Just like com/net/org are "managed" by the NSI nameservers named
x.gltd-servers.net, but in order go find them, each of them needs to
be listed for those TLDs in the root-servers.net.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh