[ga-roots]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] Names Council and Alternate Roots

Dear Sergio,
Let bring some European cartesianism in all this. The DNS is a hierarchical
system handling names of the DNS name space. The DNS name space is built of :

- every possible sequence of 256 alnum including some dots represented for
convenience by nothing.
- divided in sub name spaces made of tld.xxxxxxxxxxxx
- divided in sub subname spaces made of tld.sld.xxxxxx
- etc...

The root is the list of sub name spaces. It includes all the existing TLDs.
This is neat and clear.

Now we face a secretariat dispute. The list of the sub name spaces may be
decided or collected.

1) one group of people tries to chase all the existing TLDs and to reduce
the claims for the same TLD. This work is very seriously under way for
several months now and works quite well: no one wants to waste time and
money in a colliding TLD (Vint Cerf excepted). I can copy you that list.
This list is the inclusive root (it wants to include everyone).

2) the iCANN. They have embarked in a very costly way of living and needs
money. So instead of trying to make a list of what exists, they sells the
right to be on their list. Since they have actually nothing to sell it
creates the fiction of a complex contract (actually they do provide a
certain quality control for a very frozen/outdated model of TLD). Then they
play it a way which promotes their list and makes commercially known their
TLDs. A good corporation strategy inadequate to a consensus common interest
non-profit organization.

This results into two lists: the inclusive or open root by the inclusive
people and the exclusive or restricted root by the iCANN. As the inclusive
root includes the iCANN root, there is absolutely no technical problem in
using the inclusive root. Until the iCANN determined to commercially
challenge inclusive root list in determining to introduce a collider,
endangering the stability of the whole network, due to the possible
collisions, but mainly in undermining the confidence of the people.

This is pure commercial competition between someone wanting to make money
where other are free.

On a technical side :
- a part from the collision challenge by he iCANN there are some problems
in using the iCANN root as one cannot access all the TLDs. And there is a
very high cost and delay to pay to create a new TLD.
- a part from the collision reduction effort there are some problems in
using the inclusive root: when a TLD is missing it takes a few weeks before
all the roots have been updated; also with its collider the iCANN maintain
and develop an island within the net creating possible problems of propagation.

The solution is rather simple:
1) the iCANN to respect its bylaws and accept the every existing TLD on its
root server system
2) the iCANN to continue to develop contracts with cc/gTLDs as some quality
control for the public

Otherwise the solution will be very simple: pirates like New.net and others
will develop out of user frustration, alt.root will ally with some ccTLDs,
the DNS system will continue to perform but in a more competitive
environment and progressively the iCANN will not get its budget and will die.

Jefsey