[ga-roots]

Re: A point of agreement (Re: [ga-roots] response to response to response)

WXW and all,

William X. Walsh wrote:

> Hello NameCritic,
>
> Seems to me the only one sensitive about it is you.
>
> The fact is that the alt.roots are irrelevant.  The only reason they
> get any mention at all is because some of their advocates are noisy.

  I am not sure which Alt.Root you are referring to WXW.  The
Competitive and Inclusive Root structures as well as registries
are what I believe that Chirs is referring to.  If not, than
he should be.

> The alt.roots have yet to accomplish anything significant, including
> any reasonable level of visibility.  Heck, 1% visibility combined
> between all of them would even be a SIGNIFICANT increase.

  I don't know about the "Alt.Roots" to which you refer.  The
"Competitive and Inclusive" roots and registries, have more than
16m registrants presently.  New.net alone has this many registrants.

> Tuesday, May 29, 2001, 3:10:36 AM, NameCritic wrote:
>
> > He is correct. No law can be passed against it that would stand up
> > Internationally. The US cannot dictate what other countries do. If an
> > alternate root was located in France or some other country then the law
> > would have no effect whatsoever. I would really like to see people quit
> > treating this as if the US is the only concern here. The Internet is
> > INTERNATIONAL. International Network. Got it now? A US law can only be
> > effective in the US. Alternate roots can be located anywhere. There are even
> > a lot of countries that would welcome it and the last time I checked they
> > don't abide by US Law.
>
> > What would ICANN do then? Have all the users who surf the alternate roots
> > arrested? I wouldn't put it past them, due to their arrogant attitude that
> > one government contract somehow empowered them to make the rules the world
> > will all now live by. The ICANN BoD needs a reality check. They aren't that
> > big or that powerful.
>
> > There will always be other root systems get used to it, deal with it, and
> > get over the ego rush ICANN.
>
> > Chris McElroy aka NameCritic

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827