[ga-roots]

Re: Bureau of Internet Affairs (was RE: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings)

At 01:18 AM 5/13/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
> >
> > Allowing criminals to roam free to prey on the community is a really
> > really really bad thing also, which is why we have rules and laws to
> > govern our behaviour and protect those in the community not able to
> > do so themselves.

Is it just me or did Dassa just make a blanket statement calling all native
peoples criminals?

>Again show me where the law says operating a root system is against the law
>or stop posting as if this were the case.

Seconded.

> > The comparison you make is not valid and does not apply to the situation.
> > Nor is the comparison constructive or informative.  It is purely designed
> > to elicit an emotional response and does not have anything in common with
> > the situation you are attempting to attach it to.
>
>As with the example you just gave of criminals roaming the streets. So you
>answered a bad example that was irrelevant with a bad example that is
>irrelevant. Please refrain from bogging down my email with this stuff.

The illustration is perfectly valid. There are a large number of
unrepresented indigenous peoples now occupying the under-developed portions
of the name space. These are the registrants of domain names in the
alt.roots. ICANN is effectively taking these domain names away by
_forcefully_ taking these areas of the name space for itself. Dassa and
Kent Crispin are also recommending that the alt.roots (think Tribes) and
their TLDs (think ethnic identity) become outlawed/criminalized and used
with non-routable IP addresses (reservations).

History has clearly shown us the wrong way to deal with this. ICANN is
repeating the same mistakes. I'm sorry if I have not been able to make this
parallel understood more clearly. Unfortunately, there's a lot of baggage
in the way for most people to understand this. I would like to thank the
peoples of the First Nations for recently opening my eyes to this.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
"You can't vote on facts"