[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings)

At 04:38 PM 5/12/01 +1000, you wrote:

>At the moment ICANN and the USG are authoritive for a large part of the
>Internet.  It is a co-operative effort with a lot of players involved.

First misconception. With ICANN, there is no co-operation, there are only
contracts. A major shift from the original way the Internet is used to
functioning.

>There were standard practices and some assumptions for any network joining
>with the Internet. If we encourage fracturing then it will not be just the
>Internet but a collection of alternative networks.  The Internet is based
>around a single unique root zone. Encouraging rogue root zones is IMHO not
>the best way to tackle the perceived shortage of TLD's.

Second misconception. There is no shortage of TLDs. There's an artificially
manufactured scarcity. Big difference. Root fracture is a natural
consequence of artificial scarcity. The Internet routes around failure.
Take away the artificial scarcity, put all the TLDs requested since 1995
into the USG root, and the problem goes away.

Easy, huh?

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--