[ga-roots]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] Capture and Diversion (was Smart Browsers)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, at 11:12 [=GMT-0700], William X. Walsh wrote:
> Friday, May 04, 2001, 10:31:24 AM, L Gallegos wrote:
>
> > And all the roots have studiously avoided duplicating .com because of
> > the havoc it would create.  The major roots strive to resolve conflicts
> > that have existed but ICANN chooses to introduce the biggest one yet.
>
> They avoided it because to do otherwise for roots that are already in
> the severe minority would be a death knell.
>
> The minor roots do not duplicate each other because they realize as
> things stand right now that if they are not at least somewhat unified
> then they stand little chance of growing.
>
> All the platitudes about why they want to say they do these things are
> really not the point.  The reason why those reasons are irrelevant is
> because what is even more true is that if the alternative roots didn't
> do those things, it would make things extremely difficult for them to
> gain legitimacy in the market place.
>
> It's easy to be passionate about the things one has to do in order to
> just survive.

Come on! If I am polite to you and thus avoid giving you a reason to
send a lot of emails to this list, is my politeness then necessarily
caused by my wish to avoid all these potential messages? Can I not be
polite by nature or by some effort?

I am sure there is a learned word for your unlogical reasoning about
motives and necessities. Not all motives stem from necessity, really.

And even if you are right (and T.S. Eliot [see .sig] is not), what
does it matter what the motives are as long as the results are good?
And even if the motives matter: Can we discuss them in any meaningfull
way? We can only guess about those of others. Sometimes I have doubts
even about my own...

--
Marc Schneiders