[ga-roots]

Re[2]: [ga-roots] Capture and Diversion (was Smart Browsers)

Hello L,

Friday, May 04, 2001, 10:31:24 AM, L Gallegos wrote:

> And all the roots have studiously avoided duplicating .com because of
> the havoc it would create.  The major roots strive to resolve conflicts
> that have existed but ICANN chooses to introduce the biggest one yet.

They avoided it because to do otherwise for roots that are already in
the severe minority would be a death knell.

The minor roots do not duplicate each other because they realize as
things stand right now that if they are not at least somewhat unified
then they stand little chance of growing.

All the platitudes about why they want to say they do these things are
really not the point.  The reason why those reasons are irrelevant is
because what is even more true is that if the alternative roots didn't
do those things, it would make things extremely difficult for them to
gain legitimacy in the market place.

It's easy to be passionate about the things one has to do in order to
just survive.

ICANN does not suffer from those disadvantages.

There are no conflicts.

And I really don't think it is in yours, or the alt.root efforts
overall, to stick to this idea of "conflicts" and the fallacy "one
namespace" argument.  In the end, those argument will only lead to a
greater sense that regulation is necessary, and if that in fact
happens, the most likely conclusion is a legal mandate that would
give ICANN's control even more legitimacy in the law.

Be careful what you advocate.  In this case, I don't think the
alt.roots have completely thought out their arguments to their
probably and likely conclusions.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh