[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:25:54PM -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
> Twist and turn.  Go for it, Kent.
>
> On 3 May 2001, at 7:43, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:55:36PM -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
> > > So very incorrect.  It is ICANN that will cause the  pandemonium with
> > > setting the precedent making duplication okay.  It is ICANN's
> > > responsibility to avoid it.
> >
> > Nope.  It was the alternate roots responsibility to avoid it, by
> > cooperating with whatever generally accepted process were in place.
> > That is precisely what perhaps hundreds of companies who could *easily*
> > have created new TLDs, but instead chose to abide by the generally
> > accepted rules.
>
> Generally accepted by whom?  Most of the decisions were made in
> secret and were engineered by a select few.

> > > It has not conferred with the users nor has it paid any attention to them
> > > when they have reacted.  It has conferred with its select backers and
> > > made a show of offering the majority of stakeholders a voice - which it is
> > > doing its best to eliminate as we speak and which it ignores
> > > consistently.
> >
> > You are of course speaking for the ORSC and the TLDA in the above
> > paragraph.  ICANN *has* conferred with the users, and has reacted. This
> > is simple fact.
>
> No I am not.  Most of the users never had a chance.  Thousands could
> not register to vote in the elections.

In fact, of course, ICANN had a *success failure* -- the expected
turnout was an order of magnitude greater than anyone (*especially*
ICANN critics) expected.  Indeed there were thousands of people who
couldn't register, but there were many tens of thousands who did
register.

> Those who managed to ask
> questions were ignored and lip service was paid to the message boards.

Where, pray tell, is the ORSC message board?  Where are the world-wide
atlarge elections that the TLDA is holding?  Where is the
representational infrastructure provided by the alternat root
proponents?

[...]

> > Right.  And hence it is totally irresponsible to be creating alternate
> > roots.
>
> They've been around for over 17 years.

Oh? Do tell us more about the alternate roots that have been around for
over 17 years.  That would be 1983, the year that TCP/IP replaced NCP;
the same date as the very first RFCs describing the initial versions of
DNS.  DNS wasn't really deployed until around 1984; there were only
about 1000 hosts on the entire Internet at that time; there was
absolutely no commercial activity on the Internet at that time.  So
yes, it would be very interesting to hear about the alternate roots in
place back then...

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be