[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:55:36PM -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
> So very incorrect.  It is ICANN that will cause the  pandemonium with
> setting the precedent making duplication okay.  It is ICANN's
> responsibility to avoid it.

Nope.  It was the alternate roots responsibility to avoid it, by
cooperating with whatever generally accepted process were in place.
That is precisely what perhaps hundreds of companies who could *easily*
have created new TLDs, but instead chose to abide by the generally
accepted rules.

> > For all its faults, it is a simple fact that ICANN has conferred with a
> > far, far larger range of stakeholders than any of the alternate roots --
> > new.net, the largest of those efforts, doesn't have a hundredth of the
> > representational infrastructure that ICANN does; the other groups, like
> > ORSC and TLDA, are basically just little clubs.
>
> It has not conferred with the users nor has it paid any attention to them
> when they have reacted.  It has conferred with its select backers and
> made a show of offering the majority of stakeholders a voice - which it is
> doing its best to eliminate as we speak and which it ignores
> consistently.

You are of course speaking for the ORSC and the TLDA in the above
paragraph.  ICANN *has* conferred with the users, and has reacted. This
is simple fact.

> No use of syntax or semantics will change the fact that several roots
> and hundreds of TLDs exist and will continue to do so.  If trends
> continue, those numbers will increase, not decrease.  There will be
> duplicates of the major  TLDs in the USG root, causing more chaos - all
> because ICANN insists it is okay to operate that way.

No.  It's all because a bunch of opportunists are trying to exploit a
power vacuum.

> Regardless of the rhetoric you and others backing ICANN and special
> interests may use, the fact is that there are not separate DNS's.  It is
> all one system and the most illiterate user understands it once it is
> explained.

Right.  And hence it is totally irresponsible to be creating alternate
roots.

> As I've said over and over again, time will show the error in judegement
> shown by ICANN if this duplication is entered into the USG root.

The error in judgement is yours.

>  None
> of us has to do anything for the chaos to begin.

You are the one that is contributing chaos.

> > Yet the TLDA would have us substitute *its* processes (basically being a
> > member of a club) for selection of new TLD operators over those of
> > ICANN.  Ain't gonna happen.
>
> One more time.  The TLDA is a TRADE ASSOCIATION.

Precisely.  The TLDA is a part of a bunch of people who are trying to
use their own standards for TLD approval in place of those developed by
ICANN.

[...]

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be