[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: Criminalization of alt roots

At 07:43 AM 5/3/01 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:55:36PM -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
> > So very incorrect.  It is ICANN that will cause the  pandemonium with
> > setting the precedent making duplication okay.  It is ICANN's
> > responsibility to avoid it.
>
>Nope.  It was the alternate roots responsibility to avoid it, by
>cooperating with whatever generally accepted process were in place.

What complete and utter nonsense! The alt.roots are the consensus.

> > Regardless of the rhetoric you and others backing ICANN and special
> > interests may use, the fact is that there are not separate DNS's.  It is
> > all one system and the most illiterate user understands it once it is
> > explained.
>
>Right.  And hence it is totally irresponsible to be creating alternate
>roots.

The very first alt.root was used as the test bed for Draft Postel. You
can't kill off something that has a right to be there - and numerous TLDs
still around have Jon Postel/IANA's permission to be in an alt.root. IANA
even provided wording for registries in an alt.root to use as a waiver of
legal liability.

Until ICANN recognizes and addresses these things the alt.roots are going
to continue to route around ICANN because they have the right to be there,
and ICANN does not have the right to displace them.

Of course, you weren't privy to what really went on in the IANA conference
room, so any rebuttal you can think of is going to be more lies and
revisionist FUD. My best advise to you, Kent, is to shut up and go away.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
I hope you're taking good notes, because history will be reported differently.