[ga-org]

[ga-org] Re: ORG.COOP follow-up (Re: [ga] .org input)

  • To: ga-org@dnso.org
  • Subject: [ga-org] Re: ORG.COOP follow-up (Re: [ga] .org input)
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:48:23 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga-org@dnso.org

All,

  Reposted from the NCDNH list:

Marc and all,

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> A little while ago I 'launched' the idea to run the new .ORG as a
> cooperative registry. Unfortunately I have received little feedback on
> the idea. I had hoped that serious objections on this list (and the
> ga-org list) would help me developping the idea into some sort of
> concrete proposal. All I can do now, is repeat that I think it is a
> good idea to have the registrants of ORG (on the basis of whois admin
> contact) elect the board of the entity that runs the
> ORG-registry. This can be done in a simple and inexpensive way.

  Our members which have some 8000 registrations in .ORG presently
feel very positive on this suggestion of yours Marc.  However some
caveats would need to be spelled out in detail from a  legal standpoint.
Here are a few:

- That the registrants are at least majority owners of the .ORG registry
   and must vote to determine any policies that may govern it's
management.

- That private shares are issued to each registrant based upon their
   registrant "Foot Print" whether or not a publicly traded company
   ends up as the operator of the registry for .ORG.

- That no change in the current policy and practice of registrations in
.ORG
   will be tolerated in perpetuity.

> The term 'coorperative' may be misleading, as it legally means
> different things (I would guess) in different countries. The main
> thing, as I see it, is that ORG will be ruled (not necessarily
> owned) by the registrants. This will help towards keeping the price of
> ORG registrations low.
>
> And a full scale 'experiment' in online democracy has value in itself.
>
> Suggestions as to how to proceed on the idea (self formation of an
> initial board?), are appreciated, either on list or privately.
>
> --
> Marc Schneiders
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827
This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.