[ga-org]

[ga-org] Outline of proposed consensus points

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:19:57 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
BOUNCE ga-org@dnso.org:    Non-member submission from
["Milton Mueller" <Mueller@syr.edu>]

Eric:
"Use it or lose it" is an appropriate policy in the toll-free number
context, because there is a severe shortage of numbers
and the capacity of the numbering plan is quite limited.
There is no need for it anywhere in DNS, which has, for all
practical purposes, almost limitless numbers of unique strings.

>>> eric@hi-tek.com 06/25/01 01:54PM >>>
Mr. Mueller,

It has often been said that your constituency is by far the most the most
productive.  You are exemplifying that claim, and I applaud your
efforts.

Your approach to even handedness and positive means for changing dotORGs use
is to be commended.

I would ask that you consider adding a "use it or lose it" policy.  The U.S.
governments long standing policy with toll-free numbers is very
helpful in coming to an understanding regarding hoarding and warehousing.

Sincerely,
Eric

Milton Mueller wrote:

> William:
> Apparently, you misread the proposal. If you read it correctly you would
> understand that there is no proposal for restricting future
> registrations. Indeed, that is one of the primary reasons why
> NCDNHC takes an interest in this issue. We feel that such
> restrictions would harm non-commercial speech.
>
> NCDNHC made a very strong statement against evictions and in
> favor of retaining open registrations. Read the full statement.
> What part about the following don't you understand?
>
> "the new registry/partnership must be committed to permitting current .ORG
registrants to stay if they choose, and to keeping registrations

This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.