[ga-org]

[ga-org] Re: Realism on ORG

All,

  From the NCDNHC list:
========================

.org

In my opinion, the structure that emerges for .org names should take
into
account the TLD's purpose to fill the needs for  "other organizations
other
than those that intend to use a name for commerce"  - in that respect
UDRP,
WHoIS, and trademark issues would be viewed a little differently, as
would
registriar functions and ICANN's oversight.

For instance - someone else using my trademarked name to conduct
ecommerce
violates my trademark, yet an organization that uses a name to represent
its
purpose which may be other than commerce, it would not be violating the
trademark use of a commerce property rights holder in .org.

now, that may mean trademark owners would have to recognize an
organization
like say the daughters of the american revolution which may want
www.american.org  - and their right to that site wouldn't be in conflict
with the rights of american airlines to conduct commerce. - because by
its
definition - the new .org is intended for those registrants other than
those
who fit in .com .....

as to existing holders, they should be able to keep their names. In my
opinion,   unless they have already built substantial brand equity they
will
probably move toward .com names if they truly intended people to type in
their name when looking for a company on the web, not an organization. -
in
the interim, their existing names work until they transition their
customer
to a new name. THIS IS THE KEY - >>>  registrants own the annual rights
to a
name  <<<<<.  that's the only right that matters. IN many cases ICANN
and
its followers argue about everything but never talk about registrants.
By
letting registrants transition out of their .org names on their schedule
if
ever makes the most sense.

I hope this contributes to the thought processes operating around .org.

Page Howe