[ga-org]

[ga-org] Re: ensuring 'non-commercial implicit value' in .org

  • To: ga-org@dnso.org
  • Subject: [ga-org] Re: ensuring 'non-commercial implicit value' in .org
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:33:02 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga-org@dnso.org

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 12:30:58AM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > Yes, you did miss something. There seems to be
> > no support for "policing" or restricting.
> > When we talk now about retaining or reinforcing
> > non-commercial identity, we are talking about
> > >marketing<.
>
> Not exactly true.  The word "marketing" has been used, but it has been
> used in the context of ICANN *requiring* a marketing plan on the part of
> the prospective registry operator.  Such a scheme, that is, requires
> ICANN to enforce those conditions through contractual means -- that is,
> it requires "policing" or "restrictions" on the registry.  That is, it
> puts ICANN in the position of evaluating the performance of the
> registry in terms of how well it meets the goal of "marketing" a
> non-commercial.  That is, it requires ICANN to evaluate the
> non-commercial status of the registrants in .org.  If one wants to
> maintain the non-commercial character of .org, then one has this
> problem regardless.  Waving the magic wand of "marketing" over it
> doesn't make it go away.

  A more blatant display of double talking "Spin" I haven't heard sense
the gTLD-MoU/IAHC days....

> Enforcing certain rules on a TLD is not expensive at all if done through
> dispute resolution procedures -- the UDRP clearly has not added
> materially to the cost of registrations in the commercially oriented
> TLDs.  (Call this "post-registration enforcement", as opposed to
> "pre-registration screening".)

  More spin...

> If post-registration enforcement is used as a means of maintaining a
> charter, then the problem becomes one of developing appropriate
> enforcable guidelines, or finding a reasonable sponsor to develop and
> enforce the guidelines.  This is a non-trivial problem, but certainly a
> solvable one.

  All this is fine reason why ICANN should not be involved in
determining or *Requiring* approval of any particular business
plan...

> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827
This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.