[ga-icann]

[ga-icann] Geographical Zones

From Art. 5, Sect. 6, ICANN Bylaws of  31 March, 1999:

"As used herein, each of the following shall be a "Geographic Region":
Europe; Asia/Australia/Pacific; Latin America/Caribbean Islands; Africa;

North America."

The geographic distribution of registered voters of the General Assembly

of the Domain Name Supporting Organization, as of Wed., Aug. 29, 2001,
is given below.  Not to analyze here, but some incongruities seem to be
present.  To analyze, however, requires at least the addition of the
countries
of residence of each of the Directors, and I'll tote those up tomorrow.

(It should not be assumed from the presentation of these data that any
attempt
is being made to settle the matter of geographic distribution issue on
the basis of
registered voters -- it is merely that at the moment, those are the only
hard
data of which I am presently aware, and one must start somewhere. What
may be of some use, at least, is the Director/Voter ratio for each
Region
and I'll provide those tomorrow, or anyone else can who wants to -- I'm
too wasted tonight.)

The underlying questions, of course, are at least (a) whether each
Director
should "represent" roughly equal numbers of people; and (b) which people

are these?  Registered voters?  Those active in the GA?  Domain name
holders? Everyone on earth who has an email address?  And should the
"Geographic Regions" of ICANN as a whole even be used as any kind
of model (good or bad) for the "Geographical Zones" of the ALSO?
_____

Europe

 Austria   4
 Belgium   1
 Denmark   2
 "Europe"  1
 Finland   1
 France   77
 Germany   31
 Ireland   2
 Italy   6
 Netherlands  3
 Norway   2
 Slovenia  1
 Spain   1
 Sweden   1
 Switzerland  3
 UK   18
        ___
        152

Asia/Australia/Pacific

 Australia  9
 China   2
 India   6
 Israel   3
 Japan   11
 Jordan   1
 Korea (Republic of) 1
 Korea (South)  3
 Malaysia  1
 New Zealand  5
 Pakistan  2
 Philippines  2
 Taiwan   1
 Thailand  1
 Turkey   1
 Uzbekistan  1
              ___
                50

Latin America/Caribbean islands

 Argentina  2
 Bolivia   1
 Brazil   2
 Chile   1
 Cuba   1
 Dominican Republic 1
 Ecuador   1
 Mexico   3
 Panama   1
 Peru   1
 Puerto Rico  1
 Virgin Islands  1
                    __
                    16

Africa

 Algeria   1
 Benin   1
 Cameroon  1
 Nigeria   1
 Togo   1
                _
                5

North America

 Canada   21
 USA   197
            ___
            218

Bill Lovell
--
The URLs for Best Practices:
DNSO Citation:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
Part I:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
Part II:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
(Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
available for free down load at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
Part III:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html