[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] Journalist simple questions I did not know how to respond

Hello Jefsey!

> A journalist just called me with very simple questions. As I am lost in the
> US intricacies could someone help me with simple responses.

Maybe someone could correct if I'm wrong with my
answers to some of the (all but simple) questions.

> 1. he was under the impression that USG wanted to privatize the Internet in
> transfering its part to iCANN before Oct. 1st, 2000, but the iCANN had
> requested an extension of the USG umbrella for 6 months to one year. I said
> it was correct.
> 2. He asks "it means the USG should have fully disengaged between April 1st
> and Oct 1st, 2001. Is that true? if yes what is the date?"

The DoC/ICANN Memorandom of Understanding has been extended
to 30 September 2001, together with two sub-agreements:
the root server CRADA and the IANA contract.
http://www.icann.org/general/amend2-jpamou-07sep00.htm

According to the minutes of the Minneapolis Root Server
System Advisory Committee meeting, "ICANN will seek to
extend the agreement with the USG for 6 months. This will
include getting the contracts (MoUs) signed and getting the
distribution master set up."
http://www.icann.org/committees/dns-root/rssac-notes-18mar01.htm
(MoUs here refers to the Memorandums of Understanding between
ICANN and the root server operators.) We would be into 2002 then.

Whether the U.S. Government is willing to be "fully disengaged",
i.e. give up/hand over (to whom?) the "ultimate policy
authority" remains to be seen.

> 3. He asks "by then what are the changes to happen?"
> 4. He asks "who will that concern?"

From http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr04sep00.htm:
"The tasks remaining to be completed include:
 - the process for evaluation and possible creation of new
   Internet top-level domains (TLDs);
 - the completion of composition of the ICANN Board by selection
   of Directors by a vote of registered Internet users;
 - enhancements to the architecture of the Internet's root-nameserver
   system;
 - formalization of contractual relationships between ICANN and
   the regional Internet Protocol address registries (RIRs); and
 - establishment of stable arrangements between ICANN and the
   organizations responsible for the operation of country-code TLDs
   (ccTLDs)."
See also the status report at
http://www.icann.org/general/statusreport-30jun00.htm

> 5. He asks "who is then on the Board? Elected by who? Accountable to who?"

Didn't Mike Roberts get a crystal ball when he left ICANN? ;)
All I know is that the SOs are about to elect successors for
Vint Cerf (PSO), Ken Fockler (ASO) and Amadeu Abril i Abril
(DNSO).

> 6. He asks "what happen from then on if the iCANN does not fulfill its
> mission?"

Does not fulfill its mission in the view of the U.S. DoC?
I don't think anyone knows.

> 7. He asks "could the USA start their own root system like China if they
> are not happy with iCANN?"

I guess anyone with the sufficient technical knowledge
and money can start their own root system. (Just for
clarification: I haven't heard that China wants to
start their own root system because they are not happy
with ICANN; they are experimenting with IDNS in .cn.
But I assume that is what you meant.) The question is
whether it is likely that e.g. the USA start their
own root system and I suppose the answer to that is no.

Best regards,
/// Alexander
--
This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.