[ga-icann]

[ga-icann] Journalist simple questions I did not know how to respond

  • To: ga-icann@dnso.org
  • Subject: [ga-icann] Journalist simple questions I did not know how to respond
  • From: Jefsey Morfin <jefsey@wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:40:50 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga-icann@dnso.org

A journalist just called me with very simple questions. As I am lost in the
US intricacies could someone help me with simple responses.

1. he was under the impression that USG wanted to privatize the Internet in
transfering its part to iCANN before Oct. 1st, 2000, but the iCANN had
requested an extension of the USG umbrella for 6 months to one year. I said
it was correct.

2. He asks "it means the USG should have fully disengaged between April 1st
and Oct 1st, 2001. Is that true? if yes what is the date?"

3. He asks "by then what are the changes to happen?"

4. He asks "who will that concern?"

5. He asks "who is then on the Board? Elected by who? Accountable to who?"

6. He asks "what happen from then on if the iCANN does not fulfill its
mission?"

7. He asks "could the USA start their own root system like China if they
are not happy with iCANN?"

Jefsey

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.