Re: [ga] whois: issues with uniformity

Vittorio and all former DNSO GA members,

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:34:28 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >Let's expand a typical "daily routine business". You receive a spam
> >which advertises an email address in hotsex@coldmail.com. You want to
> >complain to the people at coldmail.com. It is very convenient to find
> >an email address.
>
> RFC822 mandates that postmaster@domain must exist and be read by a
> person who is responsible for all e-mail activities for that domain -
> which indeed include spamming. Why should you have to search for
> another address?

  Good point.  And again one that has been made time and time again
in various ways and forms..

> Anyway, I agree that being able to contact the owner of a domain is a
> good thing - so you could either mandate the publication of an e-mail
> contact address for the domain, or have a redirection mechanism
> through the registry/registrar (i.e. the e-mail address remains
> private, but the registry/registrar offers you a web form through
> which you can send an e-mail to the domain owner, without having to
> know its e-mail address - however this would place additional costs on
> the registries, so this should be examined more in deep). But this
> does not require for your full name, postal address and phone number
> to be exposed to the whole world.

  Your suggestion here is a bad idea because too may games can be
played with this method and will be.  Hence harassment of various sorts
as we have seen in the past from Afilias personnel for instance, will
ensue.  No, the personal e-mail address of the registrant/individual
is not needed as an Admin. address is already required in addition to
what you rightly outlined  above, to Postmaster E-Mail address.

> >> breach of law, you can go to the police - they should have
> >
> >Do note that, of the typical situations I gave as example, only one is
> >a (possible) breach of the law.
>
> You should not be allowed to trace someone who is not breaking the
> law. If someone wants to publish his address so that you can help him
> in case of need - for example, if he misconfigurates his name servers
> - he could do it, but he should have the option to preserve his
> privacy at the cost of losing your advice when, for example, you
> notice that his domain can't receive e-mail due to DNS errors. (If he
> is really using that domain, however, he will likely notice by himself
> that he can't get e-mail before you do.)
> --
> vb.            [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<---

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801