Re: [ga] whois: issues with uniformity

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 12:48:04PM +0100,
 Vittorio Bertola <vb@bertola.eu.org> wrote
 a message of 78 lines which said:

> personal data to the whole world, nor can it be reasonably said that
> it is necessary for the DNS to work.

It is not necessary for the DNS itself but it is necessary for many
operational reasons.
<URL:http://www.centr.org/docs/statements/CENTR-Position-on-Whois.html>
gives some good reasons, although I disagree with the conclusion in
the last paragraph.

> >future information service of .fr? The ICANN has no rights to discuss
> >the whois issues in domains outside of the gTLD it manages.
>
> Then, why should the IETF do it?

At least one very good reason: although not perfect, IETF is *much*
more democratic than ICANN. In the IETF, at-large participation (with
all its limits and its problems) is a reality for many years.

> This is why requirements for new global protocols (protocols, not
> actual implementations) have to be developed at a global policy level.

I agree but there is clearly *no* legitimate body to do so. Certainly
not the ICANN and certainly not the ITU.

> I don't think this would be a good result. But if they are developed
> at the global *technical* level, they will lack proper policy
> considerations,

This is why I directed people from the former GA toward the CRISP
woking group so they can provide useful input.

> So the global policy level in this field (ICANN)

No, I say it again, ICANN is not in charge of defining global "whois"
policies.