Re: [ga] whois: issues with uniformity

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 12:15:58PM +0100,
 Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@does-not-exist.net> wrote
 a message of 73 lines which said:

> Just in case it's helpful, here's a brief list of my favorite issues
> with WHOIS data format and element uniformity.

It is of course perfectly acceptable for the GA to discuss about the
whois service, but participants should know that there is an IETF
working group which is busy trying to build a "post whois"
protocol. Many points raised here should be sent as input to this IETF
working group (WG).

The WG is named CRISP (Cross Registry Information Service Protocol),
its Web page is
<URL:http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html>. I believe
that former GA members will specially be interested by the Requirments
document
<URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-crisp-requirements-02.txt>.

CRISP is currently studying two alternative technical proposals, IRIS
(Internet Registry Information Service), which is based on XML and a
custom protocol and a second proposal built on the well-known LDAP
protocol.

>   take non-ASCII content. Possibly desires for alternative values in
>   different scripts (think about countries where two kinds of
>   scripts are in use; think "western names" in China)?

There is no discussion about that: Unicode must be used. There is no
other way to handle the whole world (think that the future ".eu"
registry, for instance, will need at least Latin-1, Greek and soon
Latin-2).