Re: [ga] whois: issues with uniformity

Stephane and all former DNSOGA members,

  Yes I posted a list of ongoing Whois efforts about three months ago
including the IETF's.  Another is the Whois effort at APNIC.

  The discussion list for the IETF's effort is as follows:
General Discussion:ietf-not43@lists.verisignlabs.com
In Body: subscribe
Archive: https://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43

  I am currently subscribed and have been for awhile.  There has been
nearly no discussion or activity for some time now as to the IETF's
effort.

  APNIC's Mailing list information and subscription instructions
can be found here: http://www.apnic.org/community/lists/index.html
To subscribe to the Whois List (SIG-DB) see bottom of the
above mentioned link.

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 12:15:58PM +0100,
>  Thomas Roessler <roessler-mobile@does-not-exist.net> wrote
>  a message of 73 lines which said:
>
> > Just in case it's helpful, here's a brief list of my favorite issues
> > with WHOIS data format and element uniformity.
>
> It is of course perfectly acceptable for the GA to discuss about the
> whois service, but participants should know that there is an IETF
> working group which is busy trying to build a "post whois"
> protocol. Many points raised here should be sent as input to this IETF
> working group (WG).
>
> The WG is named CRISP (Cross Registry Information Service Protocol),
> its Web page is
> <URL:http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html>. I believe
> that former GA members will specially be interested by the Requirments
> document
> <URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-crisp-requirements-02.txt>.
>
> CRISP is currently studying two alternative technical proposals, IRIS
> (Internet Registry Information Service), which is based on XML and a
> custom protocol and a second proposal built on the well-known LDAP
> protocol.
>
> >   take non-ASCII content. Possibly desires for alternative values in
> >   different scripts (think about countries where two kinds of
> >   scripts are in use; think "western names" in China)?
>
> There is no discussion about that: Unicode must be used. There is no
> other way to handle the whole world (think that the future ".eu"
> registry, for instance, will need at least Latin-1, Greek and soon
> Latin-2).

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801