Re: [ga] whois: issues with uniformity

Jefsey and al former DNSO GA members,

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> On 19:35 27/12/02, Jeff Williams said:
> >No, ICANN does not control the root yet.  DOC does.  As to the
> >NS delegations for ccTLD's which refused to sign the
> >ICANN/DOC Contract, DOC intervened in that situation after
> >ICANN made the particular refusals.
>
> Sorry, Jeff. Only you control the root.
> You can get the root by many other people, with added value.
> DOC only controls the USG root YOU accept to use.
> jfc

  This idea is only partly true.  What matters is that still the greater

majority of stakeholders/users choose to use the UST/Legacy Root.
This is mostly because the majority of Stakeholders/users do not
know that their is and has been choices.  Most of them that could
know, wouldn't care either unless a case can be made as to why
they should care.  Hence Jefsey, why your idea in your statement,
discussed and debated a number of time on this, and other forums,
is only partly true.

  This again restated for I don't recall now how many times, begs
the demonstrated need or desire that if such choices are to become
viable from and ecommerce standpoint, that significant effort along
with a very significant amount of funding is necessary for such
and idea of choices to become wider understood and known.
Thus far only a few organizations, including INEGroup, have
put any significant funding in this direction, and that has not
been near sufficient...  Additional aid AND funds to market
such existing choices are sorely needed.  Recently Juno.com
has launched a indirect marketing campaign in the US on
cable and Broadcast media.  Netzero did so about a month
ago.  Both advertise "See ALL of the Internet" as their marketing
mantra phrase.  It works, but only goes so far..  New.net,
does not presently have that kind of marketing budget, nor
does Alternate or other smaller organizations that recognize
and desire to expand the Root structures that are available...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801