Re: [ga] Names Policy Development Process

Todd and all assembly members,

todd glassey wrote:

> I still think that ICANN's biggest political and technical hurdle to leap is
> really what to do about other ROOT's.This may seem like a simple business
> question but it has far reaching ramifications that stretch throughout the
> entirety of what we know as the Internet.

  ICANN and the other root structures have two choices really.
They can either work together and co-exist and still compete, or
they can be totally diverse.

> Further - it needs to be noted that ICANN can develop whatever it wants
> internally but if its processes are too oppressive and too painful to deal
> with, then these other ROOTS will certainly gain significant numbers of
> ICANN's existing customers and that is a serious issue to deal with.

  Agreed.

> ICANN's trying to stop the operations of these other ROOTS is equally
> problematic since it ***will*** result in law suits and like restraining
> orders against ICANN, its officers and its agents (the Registrars and the
> ASO members) from prohibiting these other roots from functioning. Restraint
> of Trade is a pretty easy claim to prove here under today's circumstances.

  Also agreed.

> As a simple example, I allege that it is possible that ICANN is playing
> antitrust by locking out other Internet Standards Processes and
> organizations. This is simply demonstrated by that IANA will not issue a
> system port except to an organization that has an IETF RFC number. So no one
> from ITU or any of the other standards orgs can submit anything for the
> issuance of a System Port on the Global Internet unless they play ICANN's
> PSO Game and that is clearly anti-trust since ICANN does not own the
> Internet.

  Yes this is an ever increasing problem that many seemed to have missed
to date.

> Which simply says, that without the IETF/IESG/IAB processes in
> place, nothing gets codified as an Internet Standard and personally that is
> the largest load of BS anywhere.
>
> --
>
> Another concept here is that the Domain Owners are more the friend of the
> Registrars than ICANN is, and if you don't believe me, then ask Verisign how
> many bodies to GoDaddy they lost because GoDaddy is more friendly to end
> users at the wallet level. And most of the Domain Registrars don't realize
> this yet because we spend so much time arguing about personal sh*t and not
> the goals of the group.
>
> Todd Glassey

Jeffrey A. Williams