Re: [ga] Names Policy Development Process

Danny and all assembly members,

  Yes it was very interesting reading in light of recent events, and
ongoing events.  I hope you took the liberty of passing this
response of yours on to the DOC/NTIA.  ??

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> A document entitled "Names Policy Development Process Assistance Group:
> Preliminary Framework" has been released by the ERC's select Task Force:
> http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/npdpag-report-26jul02.htm
>
> This task force consists of Rita A. Rodin (chair), Marilyn Cade, Guillermo
> Carey, Caroline Chicoine, Bret Fausett, Jeff Neuman, Bruce Tonkin and Philip
> Sheppard -- basically the same bunch of folks that have provided us with such
> wonderful policy guidance so far.
>
> We have already had the benefit of Working Group D... unfortunately, no one
> on the Council ever gave its recommendations anything more than lip service,
> and of course they have completely eliminated all working groups.
>
> We have already had the benefit of "Rules of Procedures for the DNSO Names
> Council" to govern policy development processes within task forces and
> working groups... unfortunately, no one on the Council even remembers these
> procedures, or what they're supposed to do when they convene a task force --
> they only write these rules to prove that they are busy doing something.
>
> And now we have the benefit of even more empty words regarding "timelines"
> and "opportunities for public input" by the very same people that have spent
> 10 months in a transfers task force accomplishing nothing related to
> transfers, that won't publish a timeline, and that have used every means at
> their disposal to keep interested parties out of their closed task forces.
>
> This document is just another sham to continue to foist these illegitimate,
> non-productive, and hardly-attended task forces upon us.   The phrase
> "working group" isn't even mentioned.  Open, bottom-up, and fully transparent
> is being replaced by closed, top-down, and non-transparent task force
> teleconferences where minutes aren't even posted.
>
> The only thing this group is accomplishing is preservation of the horribly
> failed status quo... and of course, they create the pretense that ICANN is
> actually involved in evolutionary reform so that the DoC will be pacified.
>
> Same old pretty-sounding words that we've all heard before, written with such
> a high level of generality as to be totally useless -- just like the current
> Names Council, and equally not surprising as almost every committee member is
> or was a Council rep.
>
> Garbage in, Garbage out.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827