Re: [ga] Once more into the breach....

On 2002-07-27 14:22:35 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>This would probably call for a major user-friendly re-design of
>our website, and a commitment on the part of our current
>leadership to pursue such an educational reform initiative.  What
>do you think?  Is such a project worthwhile?  Can it be
>accomplished?

In my opinion, the GA should be a forum where those who have the
necessary understanding can discuss issues _without_ having to
re-iterate the basics in every posting.  It should be open to both
interested members of the public and the members of the
{DNSO,GNSO}'s constituencies.

Note that this doesn't mean that the GA can't be educational:
Reading it can clearly help newcomers to pick up many pieces of the
puzzle as the discussion goes along - and, at some point, they'll
see the picture.

But that's certainly not enough - you'll have to read a lot more.

Read Milton Mueller's "ruling the root" (I still didn't find the
time to read more than a couple of pages).  Read Michael Froomkin's
"Wrong turn in cyberspace" (somewhat old, but it tells quite a bit
of history).  Read minutes from earlier meetings.  Read the bylaws
and articles on the ICANN web site (and their change history!), and
so on.

Finally, and most importantly, read Bret Fausett's excellent
ICANN.blog.us.  Read it daily.  If you're new, read the archives.

(Note that it's not the only blog looking at ICANN, though - I've
been taking notes at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/> for some time,
and Ross Rader has started to blog "random bytes" at
<http://www.byte.org/blog/>.  If you understand German, you may also
wish to look at Alexander Svensson's relaunched www.icannchannel.de
site.  www.ICANNwatch.org is, at times, also worth reading.)

Mh.  Maybe it's time for an "ICANN reading list" site.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/