Re: [ga] Once more into the breach....WLS spin by proponents

To demonstrate how little control over the Internet that ICANN actually has,
the response would be for a few million domain owners to all contribute a
dollar and start up a new root. All ICANN has going for it now is that they
have the first-mover advantage which means that they grew out of what was
left over when the old not-for-profit NSFNet went commercial in 1992...Which
is why so many of their processes and infrastructure is in the shape its in.

As to WLS though. This is the first registrar's attempt at being able to
consummately screw the Domain Owners and it needs to be stopped cold.

It is my humble opinion that WLS is of itself not only likely to be a cause
for a lawsuit, but rather is also a harassment to the end user, the person
ultimately paying the bill for the Domain's Publication Services (from the
Registrar) and that's the key. The Registrar's participating in WLS from my
standpoint should likely be shut down since they are intentionally acting as
agent provocateur and as reception/publication agent in respect to the same
piece of IP. And that clearly is a serious conflict of interest.

WLS conceptually is so devious a transaction model that no one in their
right mind would ever register for WLS except with the Registrar who would
be  the one to expire the domain(s) in question. Because the absolute
instant the domain expired there is no other registrar that can reregister
that domain as fast. So what WLS is really all about is facilitating that
the same registrar keeps all the good names. And as such, retains the
follow-on royalties from the registration of said same domain name.

WLS is then a process to allow a registrar to most-likely keep the same name
off the market and so it is a lie that it release and makes more names
available. It allows a single Registrar to retain publications control over
its domain names, by instantly transferring the domain name in question, at
expiry to an already prearranged "owner" (or in this case 'lessor') and this
is a real problem since it now implies that an Internet Marque is very
different than a Trade Mark or Service Mark in that once it expires and the
wait period elapses, that ***ANY*** claim to the underlying IP is forfeited.

And unless I am stupid too, it lets those Registrars that operate Domain
Names for Sale operations (Squatters) that can also through funny money,
sidestep the IP ownership question while increasing their portfolio... No in
all cases the WLS Services DO NOT MAKE more domain names available, they
just allow presales against someone else's registered and published IP's...
And that's not smart for us as Domain Owners, just for the registrars.

Personally I think that the registrars need to hear from us on what we think
of them trying to be adversarial to us rather than our partners. And this is
the most important letter we need to draft. This is all about making
ourselves a credible organization and having the ability to speak with one
voice. - Something to date we have been pretty poor at.

Todd Glassey