Re: [ga] your comments

I think InternetNZ deserves a lot of credit for refusing to be coerced
into a bad agreement in this way.

Frankly, that ICANN is refusing to carry out the functions of IANA
unless you agree to their coercion seems to me to be a failure by them
to live up to their obligations under the IANA functions.

Someone should get incidents like this more into the public eye

Wednesday, May 29, 2002, 11:52:06 AM, DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 2002 14:24:17 -0400, "Joe Sims" <jsims@JonesDay.com>
> wrote:

>>2.  You can argue with the facts all you want, but they are still facts.
>>If ICANN was fully formed and funded, and then performed badly, you would
>>have a good case for doing something different.  But since it has not had
>>either feature, in large part because of efforts by you and your
>>compatriots  to try to force down the rest of the world's throats your view
>>of ICANN as world government, then there is hardly a case for ICANN having
>>failed since it has never really ever been fully formed and operational.

> So any perceived failure on the part of ICANN is the fault of its
> critics and not the fault of the Board or its staff????

> With respect Mr Sims this is hardly a balanced view.  In areas where
> ICANN has clearly failed such as ccTLD contracts this is almost
> entirely due to a blundering strategic approach by the staff who have
> tried to almost blackmail ccTLDs rather than negotiate with them.

> As an example of how stupid and petty this is, the .nz ccTLD manager
> moved buildings well over a year ago.  ICANN *refuse* to update our
> address in the IANA database until InternetNZ sign a contract with
> them so the result is official mail from ICANN (including their
> request for a donation to be made as a good faith gesture!!!) goes to
> a near empty building on the other side of town.

> Now this level of idiocy is not going to make .nz sign a contract with
> ICANN.  It is however going to greatly reduce the chance of any "good
> faith donations" continuing to be made.

> DPF
> --
> david@farrar.com