Re: [ga] Request for a Clarifying Vote

ross@tucows.com (Mon 05/27/02 at 08:23 AM -0400):

> > once we're done with this we can have a third round of motions
> > trying to undo the second ones, and the only people who'll op-
> > pose that round will be 'afraid of the truth,' &c, &c.
> >
> > it'd nice if the GA leadership would urge this body on to take
> > up new issues.
>
> As you mentioned not too long ago Ted, "the best way to deal with it is to
> vote on its substance."

absolutely -- and we did. both motions passed.

it's pretty funny to see the shrillness with which various people are
trying to dictate the true meaning of the last vote. (lest i seem too
parochial, i include [nothing personal, RH]richard henderson's recent
article on ICANN Watch[1] -- though he seems calmer than some.) these
self-appointed exegetes do not speak for me, and i don't see much evi-
dence that they speak for any but a very few others.

do you know the old 'peas and carrots' trick, ross? it's one of a few
phrases radio players used to use to simulate a crowd. get five or so
people to repeat the phrase quickly: it sounds like an agitated crowd.

that's more or less what's going on in the GA now.

however you want to interepret the logical and procedural relation be-
tween the two motions, they did pass -- by large margins and with the
highest voter participation in the history of the GA.

it seems to me that some of the main arguments used to oppose jamie's
motion (institutional 'suicide,' negative if not fatal impact on GA's
credibility, etc) apply with even greater force in the case of a revi-
sionist vote. where are those arguments now? for that matter where is
the leadership of the GA: the last two motions were consolidated into
one ballot because, in large part, two separate votes would have been
too much work. ah, but a third vote -- no problem. say...why don't we
make it *two* separate new votes, ross? you know -- just to be clear.

cheers,