Re: [ga] Request for a Clarifying Vote

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@tucows.com>
: As you mentioned not too long ago Ted, "the best way to deal with it is to
: vote on its substance."

   What exactly are the substantive *differences* between the nearly
identical motions, both of which were supported the same people?  Jamie

Motion 1: WHEREAS a new open competition would allow the U.S. Department of
Commerce (the DoC) to consider both the ICANN Board proposal for
restructuring, and alternatives offered by others for managing key Internet
resources, while providing for a public record of the process for enhanced
visibility. . . . The General Assembly of the Domain name Supporting
Organization of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
asks the US Department of Commerce to have an open competition for the
services now provided by ICANN, provided that the new competition would
address the need to develop an international framework for DNS management

Motion 2.   Should the ICANN reform process fail to provide significant
improvements in these regards, it is the international Internet community's
and governments' task to consider how all of or parts of ICANN's
responsibilities could be transferred smoothly to one or more new or
existing organizations which are accountable to the international Internet
community as a whole, have clearly defined missions and are not only under
the sole control of a national department of commerce, without endangering
the stability of the DNS or the Internet as a whole.

:

:
:                        -rwr
:
:
:
:
: "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would
: it?" -- Albert Einstein
:
: Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal
: Old Skool DNS Address: http://www.byte.org/heathrow
:
: --
: This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
: ("unsubscribe ga" in the body of the message).
: Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html
:
: