Re: [ga] Analysis of This Week's Votes

On 02:32 27/05/02, William X Walsh said:
>The GA does not operate under majority rules, and it is not a democracy
>per se.  The GA is a vehicle for consensus, and operates under consensus rules.

This is the real point.

These motions show:
motion 1 - that there is no consensus in the Internet community about the
ICANN being delegated the IANA function.
motion 2 - that even in considering that ICANN is righfully delegated the
IANA function there is no consensus about its action which should be by
concensus.

So, motion 2 is more damaging to the BoD than motion 1 which may be voted
by people thinking that the DoC has not properly done its job and has to do
it. I am afraid that the Chair and Brother Axelson failed to see this. As
WXW points it, we are in a consensus environment: the logic is tricky.

>Since the second motion had the most support, it, and only it, would have
>most closely matched the consensus of the GA had the vote been within the
>scope of the GA in the first place.

What the people of the GA think has actually no real interest outside. What
is of interest is that there is no consensus with the BoD, even among the
people which accepts its current legitimacy.
jfc

---