Re: [ga] Re: Transfers: Apparent Authority Discussion

ok...here is where I weigh in. when an admitted non-lawyer makes a
statement like :

'in agency law the specific definition is pretty clear'

...well...

I hate to be a wet blanket, but it just ain't that simple.

This is an international environment we are dealing with here folks.  A
good chunk of the world does not even operate under common law...so
agency law as Ross learned it...is totally inapplicable. there are
analogous concepts, yes. but the correspondence and statute, and caselaw
and interpretation and legal foundations...are completely different.

And even where you can call up agency law as the default
condition....there is no over-riding law that sez everywhere that agency
law cant be avoided via contractual terms somewhere. And if it turns out
in a specific instance to produce a result against public policy in a
particular jurisdiction (likely one where comsumer protection is valued
high) ...well tough...throw agency law out the window that day.

I think Danny Younger makes a good point.  So why not focus on coming up
with a definition we all want to see inserted into contractual terms
like the agreements between registrant and registrar, etc?

Then...if we come up with what we want to see, someone else (not me) can
look at it and see how best to word it so as to reduce the risk of
challenge in court?

I figure there is no way to word anything absolutely iron-clad, but we
can probably get it close enough to deter most lawsuits except if the
domain in question is worth megabucks.  For that..alll bets are off if
someone wants to claim the tranfer was unauthorized...the courts will
just have to decide.

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

--
Dan Steinberg