RE: [ga] The Real World

Marilyn Cade has stated the following, excerpted from:

  http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc10/msg02245.html

"Recently, a multi lateral organization has raised its hand and said
something like: what about me? I can do it better.Or cheaper. Or more like
governments like it... I have seen many postings from industry sectors who
object to any efforts by governments or multi lateral organizations to
encroach into the Internet via attempting to assume some of ICANN's
functions.
"Industry says, no. Thank you, but no. We will continue to evolve ICANN and
welcome the support of governments [or multilateral organizations/treaty
organizations] to private sector leadership. We urge governments to work to
support ICANN; to participate in GAC. To lend support to ICANN's activities.
NOT to compete, and not to seek to take on functions which belong to ICANN.
"
I'm not sure which "multi lateral organization" Marilyn is referring to.
However, if she is referring to ITU, then I wish to state, once again, that
the ITU (an international treaty organization comprising 189 governments and
some 650 private-sector members) has not proposed to take over any of
ICANN's functions.  This is made very clear in the paper sent to the ICANN
Reform committe.  The same paper (now available in several languages) as
well as a 4-page summary is available at:
  http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-icann/index.html
ITU-T's intent is to support ICANN and to participate in GAC.  The ITU-T
paper was written in response to Stuart Lynn's call for comments, and to
suggest that discussions with ITU-T could lead to suggestions - that would
be agreed by all parties using open, bottoms-up consensus processes - that
might help ICANN to address some of the issues outlined by Stuart in his
paper on ICANN Reform.
Speaking personally, I've spent practically all of my career in business,
with a couple of stints in Universities, mostly as an IT manager, mostly
with computer companies.
In my experience, if somebody offers to engage in discussions to explore
mutually agreeable ways to help solve some problems, there isn't much harm
in talking.
Best,
Richard Hill
Richard Hill