[ga] Intentional & Widespread Whois Errors - Some Specific Examples

In the context of this week's Congressional hearings on the accuracy of
Whois data [1], I thought GA members might be interested in some specific
examples of the problems at issue here.

With that motivation, I've prepared a listing of 988 domains registered by a
group calling themselves "NicGod Productions" and "Domains For Sale."
They're like ordinary domain warehousers in that they seem to seek to sell
their domains for a profit, and they're like Tina's Webcam [2] in that they
tend to register domains allowed to lapse by prior registrants.  But they're
quite different in that they don't register the domains in their own name;
instead, they use a mixture of names and organizations including, for some
425 names, "Alan Ginsberg" (a deceased American poet).  They also don't
register the domains using their own street address; instead, they use a
variety of addresses from as many as nine different countries, and they seem
to use voicemail and fax-forwarding services to receive requests to purchase
domains in their inventory.

I'm certainly not the first to notice NicGod's activities; they've been
UDRP'ed at least 27 times [3], and the OECD wrote up a jarring report of
their experience with these folks [4].  But my recent work goes a notch
further in that I've documented what I believe to be a substantial portion
of NicGod's inventory -- including, for example, schools
(armenianschools.com, californiastateuniversity.com), government sites
(flintpolice.org, winthrop-police.com), and medical information
(doctorjohn.com).  For each domain, I've extracted data from archive.org,
Alexa, Google, and Yahoo to speak to the domains' prior contents & uses as
well as their popularity.

My results are available at:
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/invalid-whois/?d>

Regards,