Re: [ga] Re: Timetable and proceedure for vote

Wednesday, May 08, 2002, 1:26:48 PM, Dan Steinberg wrote:

> After mulling it over in my mind for a few days....I suggest the
> slightly modified text as follows:

> The GA asks the the US Department of Commerce to have an open
> competition for the services now provided by ICANN, provided that the
> new competition would address the need to develop an international
> framework for DNS management.  The rationale for asking for a rebid is
> that ICANN has dramatically changed the intitial terms of refence for
> ICANN, and is proposing even further changes. These proposed changes
> have met extensive opposition in the Internet community and go even
> further from the original terms of reference. The rebid would allow the
> DoC to consider both the ICANN board proposal for restructuring,
> alternatives offered by others for managing key Internet resources, and
> provide for a public record of the process for enhanced visibility.

Great statement, I'd even add my name to it, but it is not appropriate
for it to come from the DNSO GA.

If Jamie was soliciting supporters for a statement like this, rather
than trying to get it as the official position of the GA, he'd have my
full support.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>