RE: [ga] Point of Order

On Wed 8 May, William X Walsh wrote:

> Calling for a rebid of the ICANN contract supercedes the grant of power
> allowed in the bylaws as it extends beyond the work of the DNSO into
> areas that also concern the PSO and ASO.

Well perhaps Jamie should reword it to say that the functions of the DNSO
should be put up for rebid, though I personally think this is a spurious
distinction.

The reality is that there's a growing consensus of opinion that a bit of
competition for ICANN (or the DNSO if you want to restrict it to that) would
do no harm at all; Jamie's proposed motion is designed to establish whether
such consensus exists. Efforts to cite "procedure" in order to prevent a
vote taking place are not surprisingly from those who do not support the
motion and who fear that such a motion may garner general support. Some
salient points:

1. If there is no consensus on Jamie's motion, it won't pass
2. If Jamie's motion does pass and there is a rebid, I would hope that those
who support a version of the current ICANN structure were confident enough
that their own bid would prevail by virtue of it's suitability to the task
at hand.

Finally, a further word on this issue of the increase in the GA voting
registry. The GA voting system is actually a prime example of why the
current ICANN structure can never work efficiently - anyone could get their
granny, cousins, sisters, aunts uncles to register and vote on a position if
they wanted to. That's the real issue - that ICANN's current structure is
horribly unaccountable and lends itself to capture and dominance by certain
interest groups - and that's why I continue to believe that a rethinking
from scratch (including the DoC inviting alternative bids) is required. I
think it's becoming clear that actually "not a lot" is what's required, and
that many of ICANN's problems stem from an over-elaborate and unaccountable
structure. The market has an uncanny knack of keeping things in check.

andy duff