[ga] Re: anyone notice fallout from this?

At 05:33 PM 4/24/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>In the referenced message, Simon Higgs said:
> > >ITYM "alternative roots" were the cause of the problem.
> >
> > Having written said draft, I can safely say that you are 100% wrong. The
> > cause of the problem is lack of entry into the legacy root. If there was
> > access, there would be no alt.roots. No one would care or bother about
> > alt.roots. End of story. Blaming alt.roots is like blaming the police for
> > criminals.
>
>If there were not multiple roots, would there have been a problem? No.
>Hence, the multiple roots (which goes against DNS itself) was the
>issue.
>
>You yourself state that if you were able to get your data into the
>one true root, there would not have been an issue. This reinforces
>that having multiple roots was the issue. The rest is just spin.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt...

OK, let's make this simple. The existence of multiple roots is an effect,
not a cause. Nothing more. Multiple roots are just a symptom of another
problem. They are not the original problem. Alt.roots won't go away until
the root disease is cured. Then they'll have no reason to exist and will
disappear. If the disease isn't cured, then no amount of useless band-aid
solutions (like the IAB's one root manifesto and ICANN's ICP-3) will have
any effect. Prohibition attempts will encourage more root systems. The ITU
is considering using alt.roots for ENUM, and even Greenpeace wants to make
their own DNS root now. Hello?

We don't need more alt.roots. We need the ICANN root to be open. It isn't. QED.

>Cheers,
>Stephen
>[looking forward to his bounce message, about how dns having a single root
>is somehow a lie, and because I support a single root, i'm somehow in
>support of ICANN, which is not the case.]

I wrote the Virtual Root internet draft which creates one virtual root out
of the consensus of all the alt.roots. Remember consensus? Having said
that, I wrote another draft pointing out the small things (like
contradictory BCPs) that the IAB's one root manifesto seems to have
ignored. I don't care if you support ICANN or not. Just don't screw up the
DNS for the rest of us.

FYI, ICANN runs it's own renegade root, entirely separate from the zone NSI
uses for a.root-servers.net.

Best Regards,

Simon

--