Re: [ga] Verisign stock price falls off a cliff

Dan Steinberg wrote:

><snip>
>What happened to verisign?  Its simple.
>three words:
>unexpected
>earnings
>drop
>
>stock price is based on expectations. you dont perform as
>expected...people get worried.
>you have unexepcted drop in earnings...and your stock price goes through
>the floor.
>
>Why were the earnings below expectations?  dunno and personally, dont
>care.  But if people want to engage in conspiracy theories and search
>for hidden meanings, net.detectives might want to check out stories of
>bugs in some of Verisigns other products to see if they can figure out a
>plausible rationale for the unexepected earnings drop that resulted in
>the stock tanking. Me? I stay away from the stock market 'cause I dont
>claim to have a clue and dont trust anyone who claims to have one.

Well, Dan, here's what Stratton Sclavos had to say:

"The sustained technology downturn definitely caught up with us," Chief
Executive Stratton Sclavos told analysts in a conference call after the
markets closed Thursday, citing a contraction in its domain name
business <http://news.com.com/2100-1023-826603.html> which provides
addresses for Internet sites."

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-893064.html

Sincerely,