Re: [ga] Verisign stock price falls off a cliff

This message is just in reply to the thread not directed personally at
George or anyone else.

I  watched a few posts about the versign stock price and
thought...hmmmmmm what is everyone so x-cited about ?

It strikes me as a very restricted world view.
We think of VGRS (the network solutions that Verisign acquired) as big.
But Verisign...is waaaaay bigger.  And their core business is not DNS.
They do other *stuff* mostly.  Listmemebers who have cycles to spare can
check out what businesses Verisign is in, what other companies they
acquired, and what business these acquisitions are in. Here's a
statememnt from their website:

"VeriSign, Inc. (Nasdaq:VRSN) is the leading provider of digital trust
                      services that enable businesses and consumers to
engage in
                      commerce and communications with confidence."

What does this have to do with the GA? As someone pointed out a few
years ago, less than a thousand people in the world (or on mars) know
how to spell DNS *and* care enough about it to sign up for the various
lists (like the GA).

Face it, we may be as a group be able to effect change within (or
without) ICANN.  But to suggest that we are at all significant at the
level of Verisign stock price, or that it is somehow linked to
ICANN....is ludicrous!

What happened to verisign?  Its simple.
three words:
unexpected
earnings
drop

stock price is based on expectations. you dont perform as
expected...people get worried.
you have unexepcted drop in earnings...and your stock price goes through
the floor.

Why were the earnings below expectations?  dunno and personally, dont
care.  But if people want to engage in conspiracy theories and search
for hidden meanings, net.detectives might want to check out stories of
bugs in some of Verisigns other products to see if they can figure out a
plausible rationale for the unexepected earnings drop that resulted in
the stock tanking. Me? I stay away from the stock market 'cause I dont
claim to have a clue and dont trust anyone who claims to have one.