Re: Re: [ga] Re: [icann-europe] ICANN, VRSN, ORG: please, let get real.

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Eric Dierker wrote:

> Dear Dr. Joe and Professor Jefsey,
>
> I happen to be keenly aware of these variable truths.  And I have the
> luxury to dwell in them and advise and cajole and write policy regarding
> them.
>
> But most importantly with all of this known and some progress and failure
> being made regarding such truths this is also true;
>
> Billions of USD are being made regardless.  That is ok for those who care.
>
> But we are using this experimental tool to change lives, for the better.
>
> Ester and her ilk are great cocktail entertainment but not serious players.
> As our work here and elswhere like it are passtimes.
> You two have a lot of work to do and little dumbies like me have a Job to
> do getting access, reliability and security to the masses.  ICANN is a fine
> forum for a possible future representative body which is worth some of our
> time.  but we all must realize that our work is important and these
> politics are a sideline.  If ICANN crashes and burns tommorrow who will
> care My Internet will continue to grow and positvely effect lives, thanks
> to you two and many like you.

This is all nonsense.  Look - how dense can you people be.  If the roots
crash and burn tommorrow I won't notice.  You'll notice because you won't
be able to surf the net - but i'm on a different root system - i have all
the benefits without the pain.  OK - and switching is as easy as changing
a few settings.

If it crashes and burns people will need service and they will go
somewhere else.

In fact this is a perfect time for europe to setup it's own roots - not
only could europe gurantee their operation in complience with european law
- but in case of a crash europeans citizens would have an option to deal
with such an emergency.

The damage to the roots by icann has been done.  There's no going back.

And the last thing icann needs right now is an outage of the legacy roots.
I think we all can appreciate the fact that the legacy roots have never
represented a monopoly in fact - maybe a monopoly in ignorance and most of
you have happily gone down the road of ignorance on these issues.  An
outage and the quick fix - i.e. a massive abandoning of icann - would be a
disaster.

regards
joe

www.dot-god.com