Re: [ga] Re: [icann-europe] ICANN, VRSN, ORG: please, let get real.

Dear Dr. Joe and Professor Jefsey,

I happen to be keenly aware of these variable truths.  And I have the
luxury to dwell in them and advise and cajole and write policy regarding
them.

But most importantly with all of this known and some progress and failure
being made regarding such truths this is also true;

Billions of USD are being made regardless.  That is ok for those who care.

But we are using this experimental tool to change lives, for the better.

Ester and her ilk are great cocktail entertainment but not serious players.
As our work here and elswhere like it are passtimes.
You two have a lot of work to do and little dumbies like me have a Job to
do getting access, reliability and security to the masses.  ICANN is a fine
forum for a possible future representative body which is worth some of our
time.  but we all must realize that our work is important and these
politics are a sideline.  If ICANN crashes and burns tommorrow who will
care My Internet will continue to grow and positvely effect lives, thanks
to you two and many like you.

My one legged shoe shine boy sends his thanks and asks if you would like
his new email address.

Thanks,
Eric

> Hey Jefsey - I've been warning about it for some time.  But the
> internet is in a delicate state of crisis.  The people who understand
> how it works are in the alt.root communities, and the twits who are
> running the show are playing with icann - i speak of course of the
> beuracracies, lawyers, and large corps who have made a dogs breakfast
> of the dns.
>
> I shall refer to these people as twits - which in internet parlance
> means a user who is not an internet newbie (first timer) - so they know
> their way around the internet - but the problem is they have no idea
> what it is they are doing - however they don't know any better and have
> a false sense of security - etc. etc.
>
> An example of a twit is ester dyson, and the press who claim she is a
> guru.  as well as people like chris wilkinson who is willing to play
> cards with simms - icanns man in charge of putting out fires.
>
> This of course does not include the fact that as the internet has grown
> to massive proportions the infrastruture has become increasingly
> vulnerable - as per my recent warning -
>
> http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-
people/200204/msg00123.html

> Have the chinese gotten a clue yet?
>
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020425/wr_nm/china_usa_hackers_dc_1

> [...]
> like theatre and i know itu well.  So I have no doubt they can provide
> us with a few more years of excellent theatre - however - they are
> first class twits and to a large extent responsible for this dogs
> breakfast we call icann.
>
>> a) the ITU/T, as an international structure, is nation oriented, while
>> the TCP/IP distributed networks are multinational by essence.
>> b) the ITU/T is operators oriented: the TCP/IP distributed
>> architecture makes every participant to be technically an operator. We
>> would overwhelm the ITU/T with thousands of small members.
>
> exactly.  and the culture at the ITU is all wrong.  the itu like most
> bureacratic organizations works on the principles of paranoia.  if they
> can't control the process they would rather have nothing to do with it.
>
> a good example is robert shaw.  you might remember that he claimed
> planet communications & computing facility - one of our divisions - was
> conducting covert operations against icann on behalf of network
> solutions (nsi).  this claim of course made us all laugh and the event
> clearly showed the dns community that robert shaw fits the internet
> definition of twit perfectly.
>
> if mr. shaw is a good working model of the level of intellegence at the
> itu then your proposal is unacceptable.
>
>so i'm sure you can understand why i'm hesitant in bringing in the ITU
>as a white knite.  years ago rukowski tried to get the ITU to become
>involved in internet operations and they turned it down.  The ITU was a
>joke then as they are a joke now.
>
>> A DN is NOT anything else than a mnemonic pointer to the IP address of
>> a network privately owned resource (a "cyber domain": site, equipment,
>> etc..). The only duty of a DN is to correctly and stably point to that
>> IP.
>
> It's just a bit more then that.  It represents a means of indexing
> uRL's - information - across the internet.  In the old days domain
> names were not up for grabs (commercialized) and the links between
> resources were much more stable then they are today.
>
>> This is why we have to stop these chit chat about .org and new TLDs,
>> and WLS. We have to openly discuss with Stratton Sclavos and the DoC
>> about how to clean the mess and if, when and how .org is to be
>> divested, and how to subsidize Verisign while it reconverts itself
>> into one or several profit making registries, the way we may dwindle
>> the "Registrars Industry" into something survivable, etc. The probably
>> necessay Internet Act should also address the organization (ICANN?)
>> and the budget of the ARPA inherited Internet/Govnet systems, of their
>> relations with the other TCP/IP networks system managers and the fair
>> redistrubution of the IP Blocks (if the US do not want the IP
>> allocation to be a major negative issue in Geneva 2003 and Tunis
>> 2005).
>
> No no - Jefsey - much better to just let it die and collapse.  Less

http://www.Hi-Tek.com
Reality in a Digital World

The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended for the person or
entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission or other use of, or
taking any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If
you receive this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete
this material from any system.  Thank you!