Re: [ga] Substance over rhetoric - a constructive challenge

Barbara -

If I had clout with ICANN, things would be turning out differently. I (and
the committee) did indeed ask for the list, to no avail.

Nonetheless, with luck they can still be pushed in the right direction
while many things are up in the air.  Right now nothing is fixed, and I
believe the best way to take advantage of that is to push constructively.

Esther

At 09:05 PM 3/17/2002, Barbara Simons wrote:
>Thanks!  Your suggestion is the obvious approach, except
>that the number of "instant" at-large members would be a six
>digit figure if you count everyone who registered and five digits
>if you just count those who confirmed their registration.
>
>And both numbers would be considerably larger had
>ICANN had the capacity to process everyone who
>wanted to register and had everyone realized that it
>was a two step process, i.e. registering was not sufficient
>in order to be able to vote.
>
>Esther, you have a bit of clout with ICANN.  This seems
>like the obvious starting point, rather than trying to put
>something together from scratch, which I feel is doomed
>to failure.
>
>Barbara
>
>Kristy McKee wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why anyone who is already a member of the At Large & has
> > already voted and has had representation in ICANN should be required to
> > sign up a second time.
> >
> > ICANN's At Large, as I understood, has several thousand members, not
> > several hundred.
> >
> > Can anyone explain this to me, if yes, please do.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ~k

> > >The best way to proceed would be to ask all 573 signups of "the New ICANN
> > >at large" to vote as soon as there is a proposal to vote on.
> > >
> > >If Alexander, fortified with your donation and Denise's co-operation,
> > >creates a separate At Large from the ALSC's database, then all individuals
> > >will simply have to choose which one they want to join and which one they
> > >trust to give them the best representational framework.
> > >
> > >If Alexander wants to integrate your/his work with what has been done
> > >already, he will have to have his plans approved by  vote of the 573
> > >individuals.
> > >
> > >We have to wait for Alexander to formulate his position in the light of
> > >your offer to him and the withdrawal of your pledge to icannatlage.com.
> > >
> > >Then the vote can proceed.
> > >A commercially run vote by a neutral outsider would be best.
> > >
> > >--Joop
> > >
> > >--
> > >This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

BACK TO THE FRONTIER - this year's PC FORUM with
Craig Barrett, Rick Belluzzo, Eric Schmidt... and you!
www.pcforum2002.com/pcforum/speakers.cfm
March 24 to 26

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
writer, Release 3.0 (on Website below)
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800    --   fax  1 (212) 924-0240
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com