Re: [ga] UDRP study

Ladi and all assembly members,

  I have to laugh here!  LOL!  As if this wasn't already known and as if
this
was not expected even before the UDRP was forced, in it's current form
upon the stakeholders.  I hate to say I told you so!  But I did!

Ladi wrote:

> Published today by Michael Geist in BNA Internet Law News:
>
> UDRP STUDY RAISES BIAS CONCERNS
> A study of 3094 ICANN UDRP cases that I am releasing today finds that
> when providers control who decides a case (which they do for all single
> panel cases), complainants win just over 83 percent of the time.  When
> provider influence over panelists diminishes, which occurs in
> three-member panel cases, the complainant winning percentage drops to 60
> percent.  In addition to the dramatic difference in outcome between
> single and three-member panels, the study finds that case allocation
> appears to be heavily biased toward ensuring that a majority of cases
> are steered toward complainant-friendly panelists. As of July 7, 2001,
> an astonishing 53% of all NAF single panel cases (512 of 966) were
> decided by only six people.  The complainant winning percentage in those
> cases was an astounding 94%. WIPO, meanwhile, has failed to assign even
> one of its 1629 single panel cases to at least two panelists perceived
> to be pro-respondent.  Of the 104 WIPO panelists to have decided five or
> more cases, all but one have complainants winning at least 50% of the
> time. Study at http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~geist/geistudrp.pdf
> Media coverage at
> http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB998251965684550590.htm
> <http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/GIS.Servlets.HTMLTemplate?tf=tgam/c
> ommon/Fu
>
> llStory.html&cf=tgam/common/FullStory.cfg&configFileLoc=tgam/config&vg=B
> igAdVari
>
> ableGenerator&date=20010820&dateOffset
> =&hub=headdex&title=Headlines&cache_key=he
> addexBusiness&current_row=15&start_row=15&num_rows=1>
>
> AND NOW YOU CAN SEARCH THE DATA YOURSELF
> In conjunction with the release of the Fair.com? An
> Examination of the Allegations of Systemic Unfairness in the ICANN UDRP,
> I have ported much of the data behind the study to the Web.
> Udrpinfo.com features a searchable database of panelist UDRP records
> along with other UDRP resources.  Beta site at http://www.udrpinfo.com
>
> Apologies for the somewhat mutilated URLs, but I think this says quite a
> bit about the way UDRB is (not) working.
>
> ~Ladi

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827