From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Ladi
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 9:38 AM
To: 'ga@DNSO.org'
Subject: [ga] UDRP study

Published today by Michael Geist in BNA Internet Law News:

UDRP STUDY RAISES BIAS CONCERNS
A study of 3094 ICANN UDRP cases that I am releasing today finds that
when providers control who decides a case (which they do for all single
panel cases), complainants win just over 83 percent of the time.  When
provider influence over panelists diminishes, which occurs in
three-member panel cases, the complainant winning percentage drops to 60
percent.  In addition to the dramatic difference in outcome between
single and three-member panels, the study finds that case allocation
appears to be heavily biased toward ensuring that a majority of cases
are steered toward complainant-friendly panelists. As of July 7, 2001,
an astonishing 53% of all NAF single panel cases (512 of 966) were
decided by only six people.  The complainant winning percentage in those
cases was an astounding 94%. WIPO, meanwhile, has failed to assign even
one of its 1629 single panel cases to at least two panelists perceived
to be pro-respondent.  Of the 104 WIPO panelists to have decided five or
more cases, all but one have complainants winning at least 50% of the
time. Study at http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~geist/geistudrp.pdf
Media coverage at
http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB998251965684550590.htm
<http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/GIS.Servlets.HTMLTemplate?tf=tgam/c
ommon/Fu

llStory.html&cf=tgam/common/FullStory.cfg&configFileLoc=tgam/config&vg=B
igAdVari

ableGenerator&date=20010820&dateOffset
=&hub=headdex&title=Headlines&cache_key=he
addexBusiness&current_row=15&start_row=15&num_rows=1>

AND NOW YOU CAN SEARCH THE DATA YOURSELF
In conjunction with the release of the Fair.com? An
Examination of the Allegations of Systemic Unfairness in the ICANN UDRP,
I have ported much of the data behind the study to the Web. Udrpinfo.com
features a searchable database of panelist UDRP records along with other
UDRP resources.  Beta site at http://www.udrpinfo.com

Apologies for the somewhat mutilated URLs, but I think this says quite a
bit about the way UDRB is (not) working.

~Ladi