Re: [ga] Re: The First New.net Name Appraisal at Afternic

Danny and all assembly members,

  One has to ignore much of the time questionable statements made by
Ken Stubbs, and those of us that have been around for some time
now learned back in the IAHC/gTLD-MoU days, and continues
apparently, and disgustingly, now.  Ken's comments reflect negatively
and as you point out fairly well below, inappropriately on the DNSO
NC of which we are all saddled with Ken as a questionable elected
member.

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Ken Stubbs writes:  "i am also frankly surprised that the GA chair would have
> been the person to start this thread anyhow !!"
>
> When the wholly-owned subsidiary of ICANN's second-largest accredited
> registrar makes a policy decision to begin accepting for auction domains from
> the largest alternate root, this is a noteworthy event...
>
> What we are witnessing is the "consensus" of the market-place, a consensus
> that is more far-reaching, more representative and responsive to community
> needs than the "consensus" that ICANN purports to have.  The ISP community
> has reached a preliminary market-place consensus... they are supporting the
> New.net initiative -- Earthlink, @Home, prodigy, Juno, Netzero and many
> others (such as the American Alliance of Service Providers with over 550+
> member ISPs) have partnered with this registry.  No wonder that our own ISP
> constituency has remained silent on this issue... they want to be able to
> supply that which the market demands, and that which New.net has offered to
> the public, new TLDs, now.
>
> The secondary domain market has recognized this "consensus" and is moving to
> capitalize on the opportunity for further profit... many of ICANN's own new
> TLDs won't even be going "live" until 2002, and the public has not exactly
> clamored for the choices being offered -- .shop, .web, .club are choices far
> superior than that which ICANN has chosen.
>
> The public has responded to the New.net initiatives because ICANN has not met
> their needs.  The ccTLDs are withdrawing from the DNSO primarily because
> their needs have not been met.   Congressmen craft legislation to establish a
> .kids domain because the needs of their constituents have been ignored.
>
> The consensus that I am hearing is not the consensus that ICANN purports to
> have.  We, in ICANN, bandy about the word "consensus".  We claim that our
> policies are based on the bottom-up consensus process, and yet a policy paper
> (ICP-3: A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS) was issued without the
> necessary bottom-up process, without any public comment, without constituency
> input, and without a vote by the Council...
>
> We can continue to bury our head in the sand (like those in the NC that argue
> that roots are beyond our scope), or we can move forward to responsibly deal
> with the issues that face us.  Alternate roots have become a part of the
> landscape... to attack them, or to ignore them, is folly.
>
> To the same degree that the White Paper recognized that the earlier IAHC
> process was insufficiently representative and that important segments of the
> Internet community remained outside the process, so too are we in ICANN now
> guilty of becoming an exclusionary cartel.   Letters between attorneys have
> already been published.  We are potentially on the brink of a very ugly
> situation.  It is time for Mr. Lynn to withdraw his paper, and time to
> recognize that if we lay claim to a consensus process, we had better start
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827